This struck me as being more complicated than warranted. I took a crack
at it myself in http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1386806/, but I may
be making some bad assumptions.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1383802/diff/1/user/src/com/google/gwt/activity/shared/AbstractAsyncActivity.java
File user/src/com/google/gwt/activity/shared/AbstractAsyncActivity.java
(right):

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1383802/diff/1/user/src/com/google/gwt/activity/shared/AbstractAsyncActivity.java#newcode26
user/src/com/google/gwt/activity/shared/AbstractAsyncActivity.java:26: *
onCancel.
These docs are a bit confusing. All Activities are async, but what
you're really talking about here is code splitting via GWT.runAsync()

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1383802/diff/1/user/src/com/google/gwt/activity/shared/AsyncActivityProvider.java
File user/src/com/google/gwt/activity/shared/AsyncActivityProvider.java
(right):

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1383802/diff/1/user/src/com/google/gwt/activity/shared/AsyncActivityProvider.java#newcode85
user/src/com/google/gwt/activity/shared/AsyncActivityProvider.java:85: *
Transforms the given synchronous activity into an asynchronous one.
Again, "synchronous activity" isn't a good term.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1383802/