I guess I'm speaking strictly of the null checks. It's fine for our sample
code not to have a real auth system in its storage, of course.

Seems like your UserServiceWrapper should have a requireCurrentUserId()
method that throws an exception if there is no id, and Task shouldn't be
friendly. Is that reasonable?