On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:52 PM, John Patterson <jdpatter...@gmail.com>wrote:

> That seems likes a step in the right direction - but ideally there would be
> some algorithm that can put common code into new shared fragments.  I'm sure
> its a lot harder than I imagine to handle all the permutations and load
> sequences.
>
> If some code is shared by A+B and some other code by B+C and more by A+C
> the algorithm should create a 3 new fragments (rather than a single
> left-overs) and then merge some of them if they are below some magical
> threshold.

The basic code splitting algorithm can handle this, and more advanced split
strategies were considered by Lex in his initial writeup, but none were ever
implemented.  There were tons of corner cases in the simple splitting
scenario, so I am sure there would be even more trying to do something
trickier.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google