As jquery, gquery only works with single numeric values.
Additionally Gquery core supports color and html-attributes (useful
for svg) animations.

I think, there is a jquery plugin to animate the background-position,
although is not ported to gquery.
You could use background-position-y and background-position-x css
properties, but it could have issues with some browsers.

Maybe you are interested on sending a patch or a plugin for that with
your function :-)

Regards
- Manolo