In ordinary cases where there is no API change, I don't think the
problem is so severe. But removing APIs, even deprecated ones, is
always hard, just look at the Web and the debates over vendor
prefixes.  At Google we do have tools that help with 'company wide
refactoring', the EventListener issue I think is a special case,
because there are some apps like AdWords, that have been written in
GWT since early versions, and which are in the millions of lines of
code. New code is written using the *Handlers, but there's still tons
of stuff where deprecated APIs are in use and no one has put into the
effort to port them all over.  I don't think new users are using
*Listener, it's just a matter of getting legacy code ported.