On 2012/09/12 19:18:12, skybrian wrote:
We've decided against this change for now (increases the size of the
API too
much). A HasElement interface sounds somewhat reasonable but we can
add that
later if needed.

I suppose if Element implemented HasElement, returning itself, we
could avoid
doubling the number of methods, but this seems overly tricky when
calling
getElement() yourself isn't hard.

Plus: some widgets already have ARIA roles.
So maybe a better long-term solution would be to add methods on
"generic" widgets to allow one to set a role for it (e.g.
setWidgetRole(Widget, Role) on DockLayoutPanel, setRole(Role) on
SimplePanel, etc.), so that those widgets with already-specified roles
(e.g. Tree/CellTree, CellTable, TabPanel, etc.) cannot be given a new
role without some "trickery" (at the very least a call to getElement(),
which is a generally-understood signal that "from now one, if something
break, blame yourself").

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1828804/