On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Stephen Haberman
<stephen.haber...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to understand more, how does avoiding ant solve the problem?
>
> If RarelyUsedFile.java in gwt-user changes, then from my reading of the
> blog post, the gwt-user input/digest would have changed, so the
> gwt-user label would be considered dirty, so it seems like all
> downstream projects would have to rebuild it anyway.

Yes, that's true, nothing changes if there's one build target for
gwt-user.jar and every project uses it and it includes everything. But
if we split things up into separate build targets (and associated
jars) for different GWT modules, downstream projects can declare what
they use. (For example, it seems reasonable to require projects to
declare where they're using GWT-RPC or RequestFactory or GWTTestCase.)
Ideally there would be a jar for each GWT module, though I doubt we'll
get that far.

I'm assuming we don't want to duplicate the dependency tree in three
places (GWT modules and Ant and Google's build), nor do we want to
divide up the open source build into that many jars.

- Brian