I tried to convince IT manager to use GWT for a project, but he told me
that GWT has poor widgets library and lacks essential things like
validation etc..
Don't think my manager will change his mind because of re-branding.

In a 90's everyone was using Visual Basic. Check out how they got almost
all market.
Certainly not by asking developers and manages to gamble with third-party
libraries.
They simply provided developers with what they need to build apps 'out of
the box'.

And if you look at what is missing in GWT in comparison to POPULAR
frameworks, you will see that it would not be too difficult to catch up.