Note that, just to make things clear for everyone, removing the ie6
permutation means removing support for "IE8 in IE7 mode" and quirks mode
(this one has been discouraged, if not deprecated, for years now).

This is a step forward and, if you ask me, I don't care about those
companies that don't get "the Web" and live 5 years in the past: if they're
OK with that, they won't mind being stuck to GWT 2.5.1 or 2.6. Otherwise,
GWT is open source, they can fork it and backport fixes from future
versions (and in the unlikely event they "get OSS", they can make the fork
public and grow a community).