> 1. Initiator sends email to gwt-contrib & gwt-steering to get initial
> thoughts, asking for responses within a fixed timeframe.

I don't see the point of duplicating the discussion by putting gwt-contrib
and gwt-steering in cc. Once Gerrit does not send mails to gwt-contrib I
think gwt-contrib will be easy to follow as currently there are not a lot
non-gerrit posts. So I would vote for holding the whole discussion on
gwt-contrib only, and announce the final decision for a proposal on
gwt-steering.

Also who is "Initiator"? Everyone or just SC members? I assume its just SC
members because you said you want the discussion on both mailing lists as
gwt-steering is read only for most of us.

> 2. After the specified time period, if there's enough initial support, the
> initiator writes up a formal proposal (in Google docs) in a template
> similar to:
> 1. Proposal
> 2. Motivation
> 3. Schedule
> 4. Owner(2)
> 5. Decision date and checkbox for each SC member to signify position on it
> (yes, no, nuetral)

A proposal template should be created. If you mean "everyone" with
"Initiator" then it should be uploaded/linked somewhere where its easy to
find (gwtproject.org)

3. The proposal is discussed in the Google doc (open to comments from
> everyone, but editable only by the owner).
>
> 4. By the decision date, each SC member indicates whether they support the
> proposal. If a SC meeting is needed, a meeting is held.

Basically I like the idea of having a formal document describing the issue
and after the whole decision process is done that contains the votes (and
maybe reasons of a "no" vote) of each steering member.

In an ideal world I would like to see a condensed view of all steering
decisions (= link to the final signed proposal) on gwtproject.org along
with links to relevant information (gwt-contrib discussion, meeting
minutes) that have led to these decisions. That would give visitors of
gwtproject.org a strong signal how decisions are made in GWT and who made
them (name + company name if available). If the "who" part also contains
the company name its also a strong signal that GWT probably wont die
anytime soon because some big players are involved.

Basically I would not like to search for decisions on gwt-steering because
it is "polluted" with lots of discussions over time. IMHO a mailing list is
just bad for documenting these more important, high level issues and
decisions.

-- J.