One example might be the startup performance improvement stuff I looked
into. Which is faster on any browser except chrome, so we might want to do
something in a v8 specific permutation instead of doing that to safari as
well.

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Ray Cromwell <cromwell...@google.com>wrote:

> One reason to have a permutation for blink is if we start doing VM
> specific code gen (V8 vs Nitro vs *Monkey).  Another is blink performance
> around layout might require substantially different workarounds on Mobile
> Safari.
>

> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Matthew Dempsky <mdemp...@google.com>wrote:
>
>> [-gwt-steering, +gwt-contrib]
>>
>> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Daniel Kurka <danku...@google.com>wrote:
>>
>>> We also need the permutations for blink.
>>>

>> Are there technical reasons for why we need to remove permutations to be
>> able to add new ones?  E.g., why can't we start using soft
>> permutations<https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/SoftPermutations>by
>>  default to limit permutation growth from old or similar permutations?
>>
>> I'm also curious what reasons you had in mind for needing a
>> Blink-specific permutation in GWT.  Chromium and Firefox have policies now
>> to avoid introducing vendor prefixes for new functionality, so a Blink
>> permutation seems limited in use to working around bugs or performance
>> tuning.
>>
>> Not to mention GWT's release and update cycles are much slower than
>> Chromium and Firefox's, so it's likely our tweaks/workarounds are
>> irrelevant before GWT users can start utilizing them. ;)
>>
>> --
>>

>  --

Google Germany GmbH
*Dienerstr. 12*
*80331 München*

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Katherine Stephens