> Hmm. It's a fair point. On the other hand, you don't *have* to upgrade
> right away.

Hehe sure, but its hard to resist Java7, @GwtIncompatible support and
compiler/code splitting bug fixes ;-)

But maybe I misunderstood Matthew's post? I was under the impression that
with either solution 1 or 2 I could upgrade right away to 2.6 without
problems. In order to stay on the safe side when upgrading to 2.6 the only
thing I need to care about is to make sure that IE10 permutation is
disabled (which means I put myself in the same situation as with GWT 2.5.1
which does not know IE 10).
So as a developer I will update to 2.6 right away, disable IE 10
permutation (or don't disable it if its disabled by default) and benefit
from GWT 2.6 bug fixes and features. Why should I wait? After I have done
that the dev team can continue with their current work and a single guy may
starts looking around for rebind rules in app code and figures out the
situation with 3rd party libraries used in that app.

The "disabled by default until everything is proved to work" way seems just
more natural to me (and possibly everyone) for GWT 2.6. In GWT 3.0 it's
then enabled by default.

Or is one solution more complicated than the other and I don't get it? I
thought its just a matter of style how to fill the user.agent property
correctly and what will be written into the release notes.

This doesn't scale, but if there's a specific third-party binding you're
> concerned about, perhaps it's possible to write your own rebind rule to
> bind it for ie10?

Personally I had nothing specific in mind as I only use libraries providing
infrastructure code. But I would guess any library that somehow provides
HTML 5 features, widgets, or just need to hack DomImpl classes are probably
good candidates. Of course its possible to provide own rebind rules but
maybe you also need to provide different implementations. In that case its
probably more likely to wait for the library to update and disable IE10 in
the mean time.

-- J.