since we're both making changes to the rebinding system, there's a very
good chance that our changes are going to collide.

i'm in the process of breaking my separate compilation prototype into small
pieces (generally 200-500 lines), cleaning them up, testing them, getting
them reviewed, and then committed. i've got about 5500 lines remaining to
run through this process.

it sounds like you have a lot of outstanding changes as well. maybe yours
and my changes will merge best if you do the same thing (iteratively commit
in lots of small chunks).