> The issue comes up when we change a piece of shared code, like a DTO. What
> we've found is that if we don't stop, recompile from the command line
> (including gwt compile) the updated DTO can't be sent/received...the
> GWT-RPC stuff doesn't match up any more and we get failures.

You just have to reload the browser first so that the DevMode regenerates
*.rpc files for your changed shared DTO classes. After that you redeploy
the updated *.rpc files along with the rest of the server code to jetty.

I also use external servers (Glassfish / Jetty 9) and never do a GWT
compile while developing / debugging. If the external server is not on my
local host I use an ant build script to gather all the classes that the IDE
already has compiled (basically copying the bin or WEB-INF/classes folder)
along with any important GWT files (*.rpc, hosted.html, app.nocache.js).
>From these files I build a war and then deploy it remotely.

If the external server is installed on my local host, for example Jetty, I
let it deploy the project's war folder directly as it is already an
explored war. Should work well with Eclipse as the hosted.html /
app.nocache.js / *.rpc files are all generated into that war folder because
of the Eclipse plugin (unless you have configured it different).
If you use IntelliJ you can let IntelliJ do all the work by defining a
server artifact and configure a Jetty server in IntelliJ to deploy that
server artifact. Then you have to modify your GWT DevMode run configuration
and add -war <path/to/intellij/server/artifact> so that hosted.html /
app.nocache.js / *.rpc files are placed inside IntelliJ's artifact folder.
Then you only have to hit "update" in IntelliJ to redeploy things in Jetty.
I would guess Eclipse WTP lets you do something very similar.

In all those cases I often use an additional local web server with HTTP
proxy capabilities. That way I can redirect server requests to any external
server so for example I could swap between a local Jetty instance of a
remote one or between Jetty and a Glassfish installation on different
ports, etc. while accessing my app always on
http://localhost?gwt.codesrv=...

-- J.