Just to toss in another use case...

I develop a cross-platform java library that exposes generic apis that run
on multiple platforms;
each module inherits the minimum possible dependencies, and all
platform-specific code is isolated from shared APIs.

I never touch anything in User unless I specifically need to write an
implementation that integrates with some other project,
and such dependencies never, ever make it into the shared modules.
Elemental or even just java emul is plenty to create a module of generic
functionality,
and I'm very pleased that GWT is keeping its permutations where they belong.

With Elemental being built against webkit's hmtl5 IDLs, it can be the
single permutations "standards way" (tm),
with c.g.g.user for all "legacy" code.

If you need to support ancient browsers, do the enterprise thing and bend
over backwards to maintain support.
If you just want to leverage java in a javascript world, then GWT does that
too.

Win-win, I'd say. :)