Hi,

I just tried latest trunk (without Daniels upcoming automatic recompile on
page reload patch) and the following describes our current setup and the
issues we have with DevMode -superDevMode.

*TL;DR:*
*- public resources are not copied to war output directory. Only
app.nocache.js will be generated. We need public resources.*
*- the generated app.nocache.js of DevMode -superDevMode does not set all
binding properties so SDM fails because more than 1 permutation has been
detected. In our case GWT "locale" and one of our properties is not defined
with a default value.*

We use GWTs "public" folder feature quite a bit and rely on the fact that
DevMode copies the content of all public folders to the war output
directory as soon as DevMode has started (without ever accessing the app
through the browser).

With current state of DevMode -superDevMode it seems like that only an
app.nocache.js file will be copied to the war output directory and no other
public resources at all. That won't work for us because in our public
folders we have an index.tpl file that will be used by a servlet to
generate the GWT host page. There are also other files in our public
folders that should be deployed on server like icon fonts and other stuff
that is not managed by GWT ClientBundle resources.

I also noticed that the CodeServer now provides some public resources but
it seems like it only provides files but not directories, for example
public/robots.txt has been copied but public/fonts/* is missing. Not sure
if that is intended behavior, maybe there is a bug in the resource copying
code.

Now if I workaround the above issue by copying our public resources
manually to the war output directory we still can't launch our app because
the Recompiler (automatically started by the generated app.nocache.js file)
detects multiple permutations and thus fails. The reason is that the
generated app.nocache.js only defines the user.agent property and nothing
more. Are we now required to change GWT module xml files to set default
property values?

So for us the only way to use SDM without issues is to not use DevMode
-superDevMode and do it the ordinary "compile once, then deploy, then use
bookmarklets" way.

-- J.