Hmm.  We do have this in our project.gwt.xml file:

  <set-configuration-property name='compiler.max.vars.per.var' value='-1'/>

I inherited ownership of this project; I'm not sure why that was added.
 Removing it does correct that crash.  That leaves me with a few
new-for-2.7 linker errors:

Compiling module com.basis.bbj.web.gwt.EnglishOnly

   Computing all possible rebind results for
'com.basis.bbj.web.gwt.client.message.data.ServerMessageReconstructor'

      Rebinding
com.basis.bbj.web.gwt.client.message.data.ServerMessageReconstructor

         Invoking generator
com.basis.bbj.web.gwt.server.message.ServerMessageReconstructorGenerator

            Emitting code-splitting switches for MessageGroups: [DEFAULT,
CONSOLE, GRID, MENU, NATIVE, OPTIONAL]

   [WARN] Call to Enum method toString when enum obfuscation is enabled:
com/basis/bbj/web/gwt/client/GridGWTEventHelper.java:408

   [WARN] Call to Enum method toString when enum obfuscation is enabled:
com/basis/bbj/web/gwt/client/GridGWTEventHelper.java:412

   [WARN] Call to Enum method toString when enum obfuscation is enabled:
com/basis/bbj/web/gwt/client/GridGWTBrowserSpecifics_typeA.java:110

   Compiling 5 permutations

      Compiling permutation 0...

      Process output

         Compiling

            Compiling permutation 1...

      Compiling permutation 2...

         Compiling

            Compiling permutation 3...

      Compiling permutation 4...

   Compile of permutations succeeded

   Compilation succeeded -- 67.406s

Linking into /Users/jimdouglas/workspace/BBj/war/gwtwebclient

   Invoking Linker CSS Renaming Linker

      Renaming styles in "basis.css"

      Renaming styles in "basisOld.css"

      Renaming styles in "basisUtils.css"

      Renaming styles in "gwt/standard/standard.css"

      Renaming styles in "gwt/standard/standard_rtl.css"

      Renaming styles in "jquery-ui.min.css"

      Renaming styles in "jquery-ui.structure.min.css"

   Invoking Linker Cross-Site-Iframe

      [ERROR] The Cross-Site-Iframe linker does not support <script> tags
in the gwt.xml files, but the gwt.xml file (or the gwt.xml files which it
includes) contains the following script tags:

html2canvas.min.js

jquery-1.11.1.min.js

jquery-ui.min.js

In order for your application to run correctly, you will need to include
these tags in your host page directly. In order to avoid this error, you
will need to remove the script tags from the gwt.xml file, or add this
property to the gwt.xml file: <set-configuration-property
name='xsiframe.failIfScriptTag' value='FALSE'/>

And with the addition of that configuration property, the GWT compile/link
now runs to completion:

[...]

   Compilation succeeded -- 71.709s

Linking into /Users/jimdouglas/workspace/BBj/war/gwtwebclient

   Invoking Linker CSS Renaming Linker

      Renaming styles in "basis.css"

      Renaming styles in "basisOld.css"

      Renaming styles in "basisUtils.css"

      Renaming styles in "gwt/standard/standard.css"

      Renaming styles in "gwt/standard/standard_rtl.css"

      Renaming styles in "jquery-ui.min.css"

      Renaming styles in "jquery-ui.structure.min.css"

   Invoking Linker Cross-Site-Iframe

      Ignoring the following script tags in the gwt.xml file

html2canvas.min.js

jquery-1.11.1.min.js

jquery-ui.min.js

   Link succeeded