Hi,

Our app produces permutations about 3.5mb in size when doing optimized
production builds. It is roughly 150.000 fields across 12.000 types
(according to the first SDM incremental compile output). I tried that app
with several browsers (all Mac OS) to see how things work with SDM
incremental compile:

- Opening the native dev tools of *Firefox 33* and switching to the
debugger tab freezes Firefox for several (5+) minutes until it finally
displays all source mapped java files. And thats for each page reload.
Breakpoints work but since you can not see which source line is mapped you
might need to guess a bit until you find a spot where the breakpoint
actually works (or look it up on the code server). But because of the
reload times debugging is literally unusable. Maybe it is possible to use
FireFox remote debugging in IntelliJ. Haven't tried that yet.

- *Safari 7* also has quite some lag. The reason is that Safari Dev Tools
store each XHR request done to fetch a source mapped file from code server.
If you now want to search for a Java file in the browser the search lags
quite a bit because it also filters all these 1000+ XHR requests. But thats
a Safari issue one must accept for now. I also noticed that sometimes the
CodeServer responds with 404 for all source mapped files that are generated
by GWT generators, e.g.

GET /sourcemaps/app/3427F4D36ECEACFA71B338AB1AE1396C_sourcemap.json
   sent source map for module 'app' in 269 ms
GET
/sourcemaps/app/gen/com/google/gwt/cell/client/TextInputCell_TemplateImpl.java
   Sent error page: unknown source file:
gen/com/google/gwt/cell/client/TextInputCell_TemplateImpl.java

When I open up the CodeServer web site at <ip>:9876/sourcemaps/app/ I can
see an entry for gen/com/google/gwt/cell/client/ . Once I enter it I can
see the TextInputCell_TemplateImpl.java however if I want to open it in the
browser the CodeServer can not find it and reports an error. Thats
something I haven't noticed in Chrome so far.
Finally setting break points in the source mapped Java file does not seem
to work at all in Safari 7. Breakpoints are accepted but never hit by the
debugger. I tried several different code lines (all are marked as black
lines on the code server sourcemap html output so they should have valid
mappings).

- In *IE 11* it also takes quite some time until source mapped java files
appear in the dev tools (similar to FireFox). Once they appear, file
filtering is pretty slow but I can live with that. However if I want to set
a breakpoint in any of my files then the breakpoint is actually placed in a
GWT file called ModuleUtils.java. No idea why but that also makes debugging
impossible. Trying to open the pure JS file does not work either.

So in short, although incremental compilation is pretty cool all non Google
Chrome browsers have issues with our app because 1.) the pure JS size
produced by incremental compile is too large (Safari actually showed the
total size of resources downloaded and it shows 75MB) and 2.) handling the
source map does not work well and break points might be dead.
For IE we can still use classic DevMode but for FireFox, Safari and mobile
browsers debugging doesn't work well for large apps.

-- J.