This is with GWT 2.6.1?

SuperDevMode will only find changes in .java files that are in a directory
that has been supplied to the JVM launch as part of the classpath or is
specifically added using a -src parameter.

>From what you say it sounds like something about your project setup is
leading to SuperDevMode being able to see your project source (so it can
compile) but is seeing it in a location that is different than the .java
files that you're editing. Is it possible that your maven project setup is
somehow packaging your source code into jar files and SuperDevMode is only
seeing and compiling that version of the source files?