On a side note the Scheduler implentation needs to be rewritten to make it
easier to provide alternative schedulers while letting those alternative
schedulers use as much of the core code as possible.

It would be easier to make these patches if runRepeatingTasks was protected
and there was a Scheduler interface instead of an abstract class with so
many nested classes.