I agree with Goktug on this one. We can remove it from trunk right after we
created the 2.8 release branch, depending on how other things come together
(Java8, JSInterop v1) this should be in ~2 months. I think we are fine
letting the old code sit for that while.

I would suggest that we switch the default in trunk to gss and turn auto
conversion off to get the upgrade message.

-Daniel

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 11:20 PM, 'Goktug Gokdogan' via GWT Contributors <
google-web-toolkit-contributors@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> If we remove old css completely, that means we will force auto-conversion
> by the time of upgrade to 2.8. That will the make the upgrade
> unnecessarily harder (vs. upgrading 2.8 and choosing the time to the
> conversion if necessary). Besides, if they haven't upgraded and using
> auto-conversion, that is still not forcing migration, just leaves them with
> not-as-well-tested support of old css.
> Given that this is not buying as much, following the original plan to
> provide a clean transition version looks better to me at the moment. We
> can remove it all together after the 2.8 release.
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Jens <jens.nehlme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I started migration today on a 300 KLOC project and all CSS files had
>> been converted without any major issue using the Css2Gss tool. The only
>> exotic issue I had was a NullPointerException for *.css files that do not
>> have any content:
>> https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=9131
>>
>> After conversion I was a bit annoyed updating all the @Source annotations
>> still pointing to *.css files. You can't blindly run a global string
>> replace of .css -> .gss so this took some time.
>> Also I did not add any gss=true attributes to UiBinder files because we
>> simply have a lot of them and I don't want to do that work. I assume that
>> this attribute is not needed anymore anyways once the GssResourceGenerator
>> is enabled by default for UiBinder <ui:style> elements.
>>
>> Currently we run the app with CssResource.enableGss = true and
>> CssResource.conversionMode
>> = strict and do not have any issues. Overall it took less than an hour
>> to achieve that state.
>>

>> So I think I would prefer the second option (delete the property and make
>> GSS the default everywhere) but it would be nice if GWT would prefer a
>> matching *.gss file for any *.css file referenced in @Source annotations
>> (may the css file exist or not on disk) and print a warning in which
>> ClientBundles that occurred. That way people could execute the Css2Gss tool
>> and can start using 2.8. Deleting css files and cleaning up @Source
>> annotations can then be done afterwards in smaller steps.
>>

>> -- J.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit-contributors/8efa270c-e7fa-4337-9e46-60d25e393e05%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit-contributors/8efa270c-e7fa-4337-9e46-60d25e393e05%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

>  --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit-contributors/CAN%3DyUA04acEEqBEP5LRO0qfdxGnXFS6GJEOtuEVAwYjv%3DZUr3w%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit-contributors/CAN%3DyUA04acEEqBEP5LRO0qfdxGnXFS6GJEOtuEVAwYjv%3DZUr3w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Google Germany GmbH
*Dienerstr. 12*
*80331 München*

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Katherine Stephens