The only issue I know of that causes this is
https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/8233 (and also apparently
https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/8229), which is fixed in GWT 2.7.
This issue was caused by invoking a method with many arguments, rather than
wrapping those arguments in a list and invoking with the list itself. It is
possible that you haven't had enough items in the list to cause this, but
that Chrome has changed the size of its stack (or some other implementation
detail) and you are now tickling it.

Just a guess, but if it is the case, upgrading will solve it. If not, is it
possible to get a stack trace out of the error?