Figured I'd addon. If you're familiar with the GWT Eclipse plugin, a fork
of GPE there are launchers for both GWT and the CodeServer. Both of the GWT
launcher types can run Super Dev Mode without a remote ui window and do so
by default. The launchers just make launching the Java process with a
preset arguments that run the remote ui in headless mode. If I remember
correctly I think it's the -remoteUI argument that will cause the window to
display. Having the service runs it without seeing it. If you're using
IDEA, then a java launcher with the CodeServer could be used as well.
Anyway, these are some other ways to running the service without seeing the
RemoteUI.

http://gwt-plugins.github.io/documentation/gwt-eclipse-plugin/Download.html

-Brandon