On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 3:16:25 AM UTC+2, Brandon Donnelson wrote:

> Hm, I hadn't thought about making the CodeServer the default yet. I've
> been helping folks convert to super dev mode every chance I get so my
> feeling is that keeping the legacy the default method that starts up with
> SDM probably is the way to go on for a bit longer.

FWIW, when the release notes say "DevMode is deprecated", people can
understand it in 2 different ways; and I had the impression that Daniel
Kurka at least interpreted it as com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode is deprecated.
I'm not sure we were all on the same line in the Steering Committee when
saying "DevMode is deprecated"; I think most thought that "legacy dev mode"
was deprecated, but c.g.g.dev.DevMode would stay (just losing its
-nosuperDevMode).
I, for one, would have preferred that we didn't even integrate SDM within
c.g.g.dev.DevMode in 2.7; or explicitly describe it as a transitional
feature, encouraging everyone to switch to CodeServer even before 2.8.
In any case, if we do keep c.g.g.dev.DevMode in the future, I'll campaign
(again) for removing its custom WebAppClassLoader and force users to put
all their deps and compiled server classes into WEB-INF/lib and
WEB-INF/classes.

So, I'm with Jens here wrt icons.