I like the sounds on this, although my initial thoughts feel like it's
another layer. But I also know typically it takes me a bit longer to warm
up to new approaches. I have trying to think how I can cut the code server
out of the loop.

So I've been wondering if I could start the gwt super dev mode compile,
provide the user agent in the args, so the code server isn't needed. Then
compile the initial compile into the web app directory. Skip the working
directory, skip a temp directory, do it into the web app. There would be no
need for injection, b/c it'd be acting like the real web app, minus the
optimizations and multi permutation builds. So in that same process, listen
for changes to the app, and then recompile after the change, or based on a
trigger, like a change in file.

Here's how Eclipse web tools platform could take advantage of that. Compile
into a web app directory, when ever contents are added or changed in that
directory it refreshes the server and if you refresh the web page, the
contents get loaded.

Do you think we could get rid of the any additional web server (code
server) and push the bits into the web app directory, or some directory we
could push to the web app server? The arguments needed for the compiler
could be provided in the program args, and changes could trigger the
recompile.