I agree entirely, just trying to see this as a potential contributor with
its associated steep learning curve, and address the question of "Should we
stop adding new features?".

we're rather in a situation of "I'd like to add this new feature to GWT;
> and this is something I could do in my own code"

If (and I stress *if*) we are prepared to stop accepting features requests
*that
come with technically correct code*, we should not make that decision
lightly. There is little doubt that this would be an improvement to GWT,
and something that generally would make GWT apps better - why should we not
take it?

My (and your) alternative of using an external safe-* project adds
boilerplate for using gwt-user features that are considered up-to-date and
well supported. That is the main basis for my +1, that it isn't sufficient
to say "well, if you want this browser API, which could be easily supported
out of the box, here are the hoops you jump through". Find/Replace all use
of UriUtils leads to prefixed MyCompanyUriUtils for each class in the GWT
that could/should be better, and does make updating harder, or encourages
forked copies of GWT which then can be difficult to rebase and keep up to
date.

In contrast, transforming a user into a contributor, even if only a
fraction of them stay with us long term, improves the overall health of the
project.

The one technical objection I see is that including Collections.emptySet()
and its transitive tree might add some weight for small projects that avoid
*any* java collections. String[] might be preferred, but with a minor
runtime cost last I checked.

If it is a technically bad patch (style, increases compile time/size in an
unacceptable way, insufficiently tested/documented, insecure, etc), it
should be rejected. If it *could* be done in user code (and just about any
feature request *could* be done), this probably isn't enough to reject it,
unless we think it is a fringe case which other users are unlikely to avail
themselves of. But if it improves the sdk in a way that will benefit users,
and make it clear that GWT is in it for the long haul, improving every
release, and open to developer contributions? Why should we stand in the
way of that?

(Again, mostly devil's advocate, trying to address the huge number of
concerns we've had over the last year or four of "contributing to GWT is
too hard" or "GWT doesn't move forward and stay current with modern APIs".
This is a token changeset to address this, and probably not perfect to
demonstrate these thoughts, but I just wanted to make the point that we
will be sending a message *whichever direction we take* with this
changeset.)