> J2Cl itself will likely be built with Bazel (given that even Dagger et al.
> are moving from Maven to Bazel, I don't think we want to invest in
> maintaining a non-Bazel build –contributed by "the community"– in parallel
> to Bazel –contributed by Google–), and our goal as a community will be to
> help Google distribute it on Central.
> Calling J2Cl from Gradle should be a no-brainer.
>

> As for GWT 3, if you ask me, it'd be a "rebuild", using either Bazel or
> Gradle, rather than an evolution of the current repo.
> I'll probably leave it to someone else to build a Maven plugin for using
> GWT 3, unless my existing plugin works out-of-the-box (depends what tooling
> GWT 3 will provide), but would happily contribute to a Gradle plugin (the
> hardest part actually is deciding on a "standard" project layout; this
> should be done by a specific "working group", not unilaterally by an
> individual).

Yeah I meant GWT 3 with Gradle, not so much J2CL. And yes I would
definitely start with a new repository for GWT 3 and a separate repository
for Java emulation that can be used with J2CL without GWT tooling on top of
it. Given that 2.8 will live pretty long I think it's better to fork the
emulation into a separate repository because GWT3 / J2CL should not be hold
back from moving forward integrating new emulation which might require new
syntax in the future. Yes that would possibly mean back porting emulation
for 2.8.x if someone needs it but I think that is fine (if it ever happens)

Not sure how comfortable you can import a Bazel project into any IDE these
days, I guess Gradle is still far ahead. Also conventions help you keep the
repo clean and consistent.

-- J.