So I think Thomas is right.
One of our change in this new release was to rename toString() method on
some objects to avoid confusion with java.lang.Object methods.
That broke Elemental with J2CL because java.lang.Object is a JsType in J2CL
and we need to lift up some jsinterop restriction to allows user to
override an implementation with a native override (something similar to
https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/c/gwt/+/20122)
But in GWT, Object is not a JsType and we don't have that problem. So we
dont need https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/c/gwt/+/20122 for Elemental
in GWT.

The good news is Elemental2:1.0.0-beta-3 is working with the current
version of GWT. Sorry for the confusion.