> Is bundling data before 1970 really worth the additional bloat? If you ask
> me, I wouldn't even go down to 1970.

Well ideally the developer should decide how much data the application
needs and not GWT SDK. So we should either include all or make it
configurable.

If you look at moment-timezone js library the gzipped size of timezone data
is about 40kb. Their format is different, but I would expect GWT's json to
be in the same region if it would contain all data + future data.

I already thought if GWT could maybe use that moment-timezone js library
internally (keeping GWTs property file for API compatibility but make it
empty). Yes the JS it is not very well optimizable in GWT 2.x but the
reason to use it is that once you have older historic data the current GWT
Json format can not express certain situations. For example the standard
offset for certain time zones changes multiple times over the past years,
but GWT only knows a single standard offset (likely the most recent one at
the time the file as generated). Also some DST changes are down to second
granularity, however GWT only stores hours as transition points and offsets
in minutes which would result in some dates being treated wrong for these
timezones.

Of course we could also update the GWT Json format to cover these
situations, but it also feels like reinventing the wheel.

-- J.