To be honest, GWT is not that great at the "team" designer vs
developer separation at the moment.  There are ways to mitigate that
(tools like Instantiations designer), and approaches that help (clear
rules for css names for widgets/elements and then a designer who can
really just work with the CSS to tweak things - but still the
developer has to have some idea of how this works too), but it's not
as clean as more traditional web app work, in my experience.

Declarative UI though is on the way, and that will really help in this
area: http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit-incubator/wiki/DeclarativeUi.

And, don't get me wrong here, even though I think this is not a strong
suit of GWT at the moment, I think all of the other advantages are
huge and I would still advocate using it - and have used it myself on
a few medium/large projects, and a bunch of small ones (advantages
like working with Java and having an IDE, static types and static
analysis tools, unit tests, a single code base that works for all the
major browsers . . . most of the time, and more).