Hi,
Event I am a newbie in java and GWt, though how about partitioning your long
job, as in...
e.g.  For a http call which needs to access names say 100,000 in number. I
might actually partition this call in say 26 calls with each call querying
names starting with each of the 26 alphabets... and on the callback of the
first function I might update the user and make the second call and so on.
Actually do a chaining... :)

Thats just a guess... may be that I might be totally wrong on this... :)

Cheers,
Amit Dhingra

--
Warm Regards,