On 9/29/08, stymie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I cannot figure out how to get gwt working with php on the server
>  side.

I can describe my setup, if it helps.

First, I have Xampp (linux, but Windows would be the same) set up on
my computer, and apache is configured so that
http://localhost/MySite/index.php shows my the home page of my test
site.

On the eclipse side, select your Project >> Properties >> Run/Debug
Settings and under the "Arguments" tab, use Edit to look at it, and
you should see something like this:

-out www com.<yourdomain>.<yourproject>.Module/index.htm

Now, back on the Run/Debug Settings, use Duplicate to add another
Run/Debug setting.  Change the name to add something like "php
version" so you can change back and forth.

Use Edit to change the Arguments to something like this:

-port 80 -noserver  -out <full path to your document root>/gwtfiles
MySite/mypage.php

Just to go over that, you're changing to port 80, you're saying DO NOT
use Tomcat, you're saying compile into a directory in your document
root directory called /gwtfiles, and you're saying that your project
page is mypage.php in your server's document root directory.  This
page can be a full-fledged normal php document, as long as you have
the <div> that Gwt is looking for.

Do as much as you can on the simple Tomcat hosted gwt development,
because it's easier, faster.  When you need to switch over to the php
setup, launch the php version, and hit the compile/browse button on
the top of the Gwt window.  This will put a directory of gwt stuff
under the /gwtfiles directory on your server.

If you do it like this, you can have multiple gwt projects on one
website, and they will each have their own subdirectory under
/gwtfiles

Also, if you have your css file in the same directory as your
index.htm (ie, on the tomcat side), then add something like
        <stylesheet src="myfilename.css" /> to the Module.gwt.xml file.  By
doing that, you will automatically update css on the php side when you
compile.  (of course, if your css is in a subdirectory, make the
appropriate change above)

When you make changes and then try testing, if you don't see any
effects from your changes, you probably forgot to hit the compile
button.  You get used to it.

I hope I haven't seriously misled you but this is what works for me.
If I left out details, just ask.

John