Ok,

i have something to add here too. I had the same issue and my maven
build was using the correct new gwt vars, but i wasn't able to connect
to a remote url as i was before moving to gwt 1.5.2.

What helped for me was to load the hosted.html url directly in the gwt
shell, so something like this

http://urlToConnectTo:8080/<webapp>/hosted.html

(the same url loaded into a browser did show that it was using the
"1.5" string, so that it was the correct one)

And then at least here on Mac i could make a right mouse click on the
page and select Element-Information which brought up the source code
of the hosted html page, where i could see that the "1.5" was missing
and thus the GWT shell was still loading a stale one. So i had to make
another right mouse click on the GWT shell and select "Reload" which
then after again inspecting the source code brought up the correct
hosted.html page with the correct "1.5" string.

After this reload of the hosted.html I could connect to the remote url
without problems. So it seems that the GWT shell is doing some caching
that could only be fixed like this.

HTH

Dominik