We are trying to implement a GWT security solution that will allow us
to scale our solution by addition additional servers.  We would like
to do this without the need to cluster them or have a load balancing
solution that provides server affinity for the lifetime of the user's
session.

To do this we would need to create a virtual session identifier that
would be passed on each of the GWT-RPC calls as a cookie, url
parameter, or rpc parameter.  We would like the individual GWT-RPC
calls to be able to do the following:

1) Determine if the session is valid and if not throw appropriate not
authenticated exception.

2) Use J2EE session to cache virtual session information (user, roles,
etc.), and other context data relating to current RPC calls.  RPCs
will treat the J2EE session as a read/write through cache.  If data
for current call is not in the J2EE session it will be loaded and
cached.

Is this a practical solution?  Is anyone out there doing something
like this?

I cannot find any practical examples of how this might be done.  I
have seen excerpts where people talk about returning a session token
but those examples end up using the J2EE session Id.  Using the J2EE
session Id would require either server affinity or server clustering
make sure that J2EE session is always used.  This solution does not
scale horizontally they way I'm talking about here.

I could really use some help here.

Thanks, Dawson