Hi Adam

I've finally worked it out and a lot of it is very much down to your
help!!

What I wasn't reading on Dan's article was a very important part of
his Python server, basically the line:

body = '%s(%s);' % (fun_name, file('json.js').read())

which as you quite rightly stated includes the damn function name and
is very important!!!

So I have taken your advice and implemented my client side code as per
Dans article:

============

public void makeCall(String number)
{
        String serverURL = ClientGlobals.CALL_SERVICE_URL+"callback=";
        String callbackName = reserveCallback();
        setup(this, callbackName);
        System.out.println(serverURL + callbackName);
        System.out.println(callbackName);
        addScript(callbackName, serverURL + callbackName);
}

public String reserveCallback()
{
    while (true)
    {
            if (!callbacks.containsKey(new Integer(curIndex)))
            {
                callbacks.put(new Integer(curIndex), null);
                return "__gwt_callback" + curIndex++;

/**
 * <p>Adds the JSONP script to our widget so we can make XSS requests
baby</p>
 *
 * @param uniqueId The unique id of the call
 * @param url The URL of our Request
 */
public void addScript(String uniqueId, String url)
{
    Element e = DOM.createElement("script");
    DOM.setElementAttribute(e, "language", "JavaScript");
    DOM.setElementAttribute(e, "src", url);
    scriptTags.put(uniqueId, e);
    DOM.appendChild(RootPanel.get().getElement(), e);
}

public void handle(JavaScriptObject jso)
{
     if( jso != null )
     {
         Window.alert("Woohoo JSO is not null it bloody worked");

/**
 *
* <p>Sets up our Javascript cross site JSON call</p>
*
 * @param model Handles our Cross Site JSON call
 * @param callback
 */
public native static void setup(CallModel model, String callback)
/*-{
    $wnd[callback] = function(someData)
    {
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]::handle(Lcom/google/gwt/core/client/
JavaScriptObject;)(someData);
    }
  }-*/;

============

Then importantly in my server side I have used the callback name in my
JSON output as you quite rightly mention!! :)

protected void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse
resp) throws ServletException, IOException
{
        String asyncCallback = req.getParameter("callback");
        String output = asyncCallback+"([{color: \"red\",value: \"#f00\"}])";

        resp.setContentType("text/javascript");
        resp.addHeader("Pragma", "no-cache");
        resp.setStatus(200);

        PrintWriter out = resp.getWriter();
        out.println(output);
}

And its not hitting my handler

Thank you very much for your help. I'm going to post a tutorial on my
blog http://eggsylife.blogspot.com and will credit help toward
yourself.

Eggsy