Hi Eric,

 Thanks for the reply.  Yeah I couldn't find where the 'index"
parameter was documented in the Javascript API, so I wasn't sure if
the docs were stale, or that sample was experimental.  Now I know..

For what it's worth, I was able to do what I needed to by looping
through all the verts.  In case anyone else is looking to do this,
here's the code:

This is the 'onClick' handler for a polyline. The polyline is 'poly'

int vertCount = poly.getVertexCount();
if (vertCount ==2 ) {
// maps rejects vertex deletion when you'd end up with a point
// hack to fix:
  poly.deleteVertex(1);
  poly.deleteVertex(0);
  poly.setEditingEnabled(false);
  map.removeOverlay(poly);
 return;
}

LatLng clickedLatLng = event.getLatLng();
for (int i = 0; i < vertCount; i++) {
 if ( clickedLatLng.isEquals((poly.getVertex(i))) ){
   poly.deleteVertex(i);
   break;

-- I initally thought that the latlng compare would fail, as the level
of precision is so high, it seemed nearly impossible for anyone to
click the exact same place twice.  Turns out though that when a vertex
is clicked, even if it's somewhere within the vertex 'box' it always
returns the latlng of the original vert clicked -- sweet.

P.S.  While I'm thinking about maps... the sample code on the maps for
gwt website showing how to bring in the js script in the index.html
using a dummy key for localhost didn't work -- I had to generate a key
from the maps api site for "localhost:8888" in order to run in hosted
mode.  Otherwise, it just popped a message box saying the key was
invalid.