Hi Mark,

   Try the adligo port of apache commons logging.
 http://www.adligo.com/products.html

example
http://cvs.adligo.org/viewvc/gwt_util_demo

Entry point is under
src/org/adligo/gwt/util/demo/client/UtilEntryPoint.java?view=markup

You will need all these jars (execpt j2se_util_v1_2.jar)
http://cvs.adligo.org/viewvc/dist/gwt/gwt_main_v1_2_8/

Let me know if you need any help, it basicly send ajax calls to a
servlet (or any type of server code) with the log messages.  If you
wan't my servlet (log console popup) code its for sale, or you can
write your own to accept log messages and directed it to the log
plaform of your choice (log4j, j2se logging exc).

Cheers,
Scott