After struggling with bugs in my GWT application's rendering due to
differences in the layout models of Chrome, Firefox 3.1, and IE 8, I
decided to switch away from quirks mode. After including the following
line at the front of my page:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

I received a blank page. Using the W3C's validator at
http://validator.w3.org/check,
I was able to track down a number of errors in my page, and,
unfortunately, some seem to be caused by GWT itself. For example:

<iframe src="javascript:''" id="com.ahmadsoft.sacwis.frame.Test"
style="border: medium none ; position: absolute; width: 0pt; height:
0pt;" tabindex="-1"/>

produces the following error message:

end tag for "IFRAME" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this

It seems like XHTML-style self-closing tags seem to be the cause of a
number of problems in GWT-generated pages. Besides iframe, empty
tables contain problematic <tr/> tags, and link tags are also self-
closing:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://localhost:8888/
com.ahmadsoft.sacwis.frame.Test/title-page.css"/>

While the W3C validation site states:

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML
documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this
error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-
closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML
document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section
and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are
not allowed; hence the reported error).

Another problem I had was missing "alt" attributes on clear.cache.gif,
which I assume is used internally by the GWT framework.

Am I doing something seriously wrong, or else is there a problem in
the way GWT is generating HTML code, and is the GWT team aware of
this? Thank you for your help.