I vote for Eclipse.  NetBeans is nice too.  It's nice to have a
choice.

You don't "need" a plugin, but it really, really makes life easier
especially when first getting started.

I vote for Instantiations GWT Designer as the top notch plugin.  It's
got a visual designer that creates pretty nice code.  I like the
application creator support and the general syncronization of the
server impl to client async, plus the ant and war stuff.  Cypal is a
free plugin.  Doesn't do any of the visual UI stuff, really a plugin
that Eclipse-ifies the app creator and all.  We've used both here and
I support Instantiations....very supportive company.