Barry schrieb:

> 1) What log would it be referring to??

The log Tomcat uses for logging messages and error. I don't know
Tomcat in detail but would expect it in a directory called
"logs".

> 2) How does one debug server-side code running under Tomcat?? Is
> Eclipse any help here??

If the Remote Debug Interface of the Java Virtual Machine running
Tomcat is active any IDE with Remote-Debugging-support can do.
Eclipse is one of them.

> 3) In fact, there's something failing in the server-side code being
> called by the RPC. If I comment out the guts of this function, I get a
> clean return, but no work done. I conclude that some horrible
> exception is occurring in the server-side code ... something that
> evades even an Exception try/catch handler. The problem appears to be
> in a CXF call to a web service.

If catching an exception doesn't help, there seems to be an Error
being thrown. Try to catch Throwable instead of Exception. Most
likely you will see a ClassNotFoundError or MethodNotFoundError.
The first occurred if you forgot ot add external libraries to the
classpath of Tomcat and/or the WebApplication, the second you
get if the version of the library doesn't fit with the one being
installed on the Tomcat-system

Regards, Lothar