No. It is not a bug. It works fine.
If you are having a problem with something, don't check it inside another
program, use a blank project and try it there.

Obviously your app is doing something to it. For example, putting a lable in
it and then making it 1px high will mean that only the top px will be shown
and that isn't going to be the border at the bottom.

Get a clean test app (not the one created by the application creator which
has, for example, standard styles) and keep it around just for testing
stuff.

Then try this:

        HorizontalPanel p = new HorizontalPanel();
        p.add(new Label("Hello"));
        DOM.setStyleAttribute(p.getElement(), "borderBottom", "1px solid
black");
        RootPanel.get().add(p);

The border will be there

Ian