If you look at some example PayPal doante buttons you can probably
figure out how to change the amount in them.  The rest is just about
generating a new URL for them to click on and sticking that inside a
GWT object.  You might find it easiest just to use a provided paypal
widget - they actually have the ability to have a field for entering
the donation amount.  Why reinvent the wheel?

When it comes to accepting credit card payments, PayPal is a nice easy
place to start since they take care of everything.  If you want to do
this using another system, you'll have to look at how that system
works.  Google Checkout, Authorize.net, WorldPay, Nova,
InternetSecure, PSiGate are all companies that let you sign up for a
merchant account and payment processing gateway needed to process
credit cards.  Credit card processing can be quite involved due the
security requirements around credit cards.