Well in general the code is probably filled with syntax errors when
using the Java 1.4 compiler ...

And since GWT 1.5.x is not compatible with the Java 1.4 compiler I
would consider this a non issue.
Since GWT 1.5 is not compatible with Java 1.4 I would not expect it to
work and the messages themselves are not particularly relevant at that
point.

I suppose it would be nice if the gwtCompiler would fail fast if you
attempted to compile with an unsupported version of Java and display a
nice message in the lines of:
"GWT 1.5.x requires Java 1.5 or better. Compile failed!"

-jason