I'm trying to add some emulation classes for integration with
WebObjects.  For example, the class NSTimestamp extends
java.sql.Timestamp, which is already emulated.  I've written the
emulation class and the CustomFieldSerializer (the class implements
java.io.Serializable).  The CustomFieldSerializer is mostly copied
from the Timestamp one.  The class works on the client with no
serialization.  But when I do an RPC request using it I get this
error:

[ERROR] This application is out of date, please click the refresh
button on your browser.
com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.IncompatibleRemoteServiceException:
This application is out of date, please click the refresh button on
your browser.
        at
com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.impl.RequestCallbackAdapter.onResponseReceived
(RequestCallbackAdapter.java:204)
        at com.google.gwt.http.client.Request.fireOnResponseReceivedImpl
(Request.java:254)
        at com.google.gwt.http.client.Request.fireOnResponseReceivedAndCatch
(Request.java:226)
        at com.google.gwt.http.client.Request.fireOnResponseReceived
(Request.java:217)

Stepping through it a bit, I see that the preceding exception is
"SerializationException: com.webobjects.foundation.NSTimestamp" which
seems to mean that there was a problem serializing that class.  I've
verified that the custom serializer's serialize method is getting
called and works.  What else is needed to support serialization?