My OSX (10.5.1) system suddenly stopped working at all with GWT.
Downloading a fresh install and running any of the samples (e.g., Mail-
shell) brings up the GWTShell and then WebKit browser, but the browser
simply displays http://localhost:8888 (not the URL for the Mail
app).

I can run with -logLevel ALL, and then I see various stuff on the
console, ending with
[TRACE] Starting URL:
http://localhost:8888/com.google.gwt.sample.mail.Mail/Mail.html

but just http://localhost:8888 in the browser.

Obviously I've done something to my environment (recent Safari upgrade
from Apple, other Java versions installed...) since this was all
working.

Related to this.  The actual application I am developing is talking to
a Django web server.  I followed the various instructions, and copied
bits over to the web server side.  I typically run that from inside
eclipse using a Run configuration, with the -noserver and -whitelist
options and pointing at the URL for my server.   That works, and my
actual application development is working fine on this same system.
But then if I take down the Django server and run GWTShell again, I
get the same  quiet behavior -- just displaying http://localhost:8888.

My main concern is this failure to display any sort of error message
when clearly something is going wrong. Is there some other log file I
should be looking at or some Java level logging I should enable?  Why
doesn't the browser  at least give a 404 or something?

marvin