Hi Fransceso,
If you found a library that meets your needs, then good for you.
Compile output size and runtime performance are two separate issues. A third
party widget written in GWT Java, regardless of how small it compiles down
to, doesn't magically make it run fast. Nor does it make it magically render
perfectly on all browsers. As an example a TableGrid written in GWT Java
could still perform really poorly, and not display consistently on all
browsers.  There are obviously several aspects to GWT that helps avoid leaks
and such but this does not mean that any third party code written in GWT is
100% leak free. The GWT 1.6 event API is really neat and SmartGWT users
it. Well written code is what will perform well and display consistently
across various browser.

On the issue of performance, there are numerous posts made by paying GXT
users that the performance of GWT-Ext is still better than GXT. You can
search their forums. This is not to suggest that performance improvements
cannot be made in SmartGWT. If you can give specifics, it would certainly
help in resolving them. But without specifics like whether it was the
initial load time, performance of specific widgets etc it will be difficult
to act on. Feel free to post on the SmartGWT forums or create an issue on
the smartgwt google code project.

On the issue of compile output size :  The SmartClient library is extremely
stable and developed over the past 8 years.  If you peruse their forums, you
will find that pretty much all questions are met with an answer explaining
how the user can accomplish what they're trying to do. Their library is
virtually bug free. I realize this is a strong statement, but its true. Only
some 4-5 issues were patched post-release. Compare this to the bugs forum of
any of your favorite libraries. SmartGWT will inherit these attributes once
its past the few initial minor releases and issues are flushed out during
this period.  Due to the high level of stability of SmartClient, it can be
viewed as the kernel of your web app which should be configured to be
gzipped with an "Expires Never" header for a given version. This means that
the browser will cache the "kernel" (SmartClient JS files) and the only code
that gets downloaded is your application code, and not any code related to
the widget / framework. Future releases of SmartGWT will provide a GWT
linker that only pulls in the required files so this should cut down the
total size of the application.

The SmartGWT showcase has some 250 samples which is 6 times more than the
GXT showcase so its not quite apples to apples when it comes to initial load
time.

Finally please read my blog entry
http://www.jroller.com/sjivan/entry/smartgwt_1_0_released if you haven't
already done so. I go over the SmartGWT fundamentals, the concept of a
DataSource and how it will lead to a cleaner architecture and can cut
application code significantly. I mention how a master detail page can be
written in as little as 10 lines using a reusable DataSource definition that
describes an entity / model class. Plus the reduced number of lines of code
on the server as well.

This is the first release of SmartGWT and while it is quite stable and has
been tested and used by early adopters for the past four weeks, users can
expect any rough edges / bugs / performance issues / better skins etc to be
ironed out over the course of the next few minor releases.

As mentioned earlier, if users have found a library that meets their needs,
thats great and there's no need to look further. And for the others, feel
free to evaluate SmartGWT to see if it helps meet your requirements. If you
feel that there are things that can be improved please post on the SmartGWT
forum or create an issue on the google code project page.

Thanks,
Sanjiv