Yes, tons of people have used GWT on the front and something that
isn't java on the back-end. You can transfer data using JSON, XML
(but, really, don't. XML is stupid as a wire protocol), or whatever
binary format you think is useful.

The only caveat (and this applies to using GWT-RPC as well), is that
GWT apps can only receive data 'whole'. You can not stream. So, if you
were thinking of pumping 50 megabytes worth of data down to the
client, you need to split it up into pieces and have the GWT client
app request and process each piece one at a time. The general idea of
processing 50 MB worth of stuff in a javascript app also doesn't sound
like a good idea in general, as javascript isn't really fast enough to
do it unless you're on WebKit+SquirrelFish, Google Chrome+V8, or
Firefox 3.1 beta + tracemonkey. (Those are all beta or small market
share browsers with amazing javascript interpreters).