What am I doing wrong? I am building widgets for use throughout the
organization, and when I try to generalize everything, it always seems
like I always need access to the font metrics so I can adjust
positions of widgets based on the user's font size.

I have read the posts about font metrics, but I am not asking how to
do this as much as I am asking:

if getting the font metrics is hard to do, what should I change in my
approach to design so that I don't need them?

Apparently, gwt itself must be getting along without this if an easy
way to get it isn't built in, so there must be something wrong in my
approach that always leads me to the place where I think I need to
know the 'm' size of the current font.