quentin:

URLs aren't designed to be protected. At all. Cookies aren't exactly
locked away in Fort Knox on your harddrive, but browsers at least have
the good sense to understand that they shouldn't send arbitrary pieces
in the cookiefile to arbitrary servers. Not so for URLs.

To wit:

1) 'aggregator' websites such as Digg, Reddit, stumbleupon, and even
just del.ico.us or just mailing a link around because you want to show
'something cool' to a friend, always grab the entire URL and spill
this out to the world at large. This is obviously really really bad.
One 'fix' is to make these sessions time out fast, but this annoys
users, and having your account accessible by anyone following a story
on an aggregator for 'just half an hour' is still pretty bad.

2) Referral. When browsing to another domain, your browser will add a
Referrer: header which contains the URL that the user came from. This
is handy for analysis flow on your own site, and to figure out where
people are coming from when visiting your site. If you run a website
and you're using google analytics or some other traffic analyser, you
may have noticed a '% of traffic from google' indicator. This thing
works by checking how many incoming requests have a Referrer: (www\.)?
google\.com.* - this referrer system does not discriminate and will
happily toss over the ENTIRE URL, which would include your session. I
could -easily- make a webserver that'll check if it looks like there's
a session ID in a URL, then report it and the website via chat to me,
so I can quickly see if I can log in as this person.

3) Bookmarks. web-based bookmarking was covered in #1, but even a
local bookmark is relatively bad, because in general bookmarks are far
easier to leak to another person than your cookiefile. sharing
bookmarks is actively encouraged by many browsers. No user except a
real geek would cut his URL down to eliminate the session ID from it
(and even more pathetic, if this geek does do that, using the bookmark
is near useless because he'll have to log in again. d'oh).

4) It's a giant sore thumb that both says: Geez, I'm ugly, and: OMG, I
have absolutely zip squat idea about web security, so whatever info
you give to me, consider it yelled from the rooftops. Boy, my
webmaster is a thick headed clot. Most other security leaks aren't
nearly as visible, which isn't much comfort, but it does count for a
little that this one is so obvious. Just look at the address bar.

NB: Yes, yes, the official java servlet spec, even the very latest
version, officially declares that URL rewriting is amongst the
strategies. Sun evidently considers background compatibility with
dangerous code more important than security, which, to say it mildly, /
annoys/ me just a tad.