Hi bestwick,
Are you using the GWT Incubator ProgressBar widget? Or have you rolled your
own solution? In either case, could you post up the code you're using for
the progress bar? That would give us more information to work from and allow
us to make better recommendations for fixes.

ProgressBar:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit-incubator/wiki/ProgressBar

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel